Thursday, March 27, 2008

Gotta Run

I haven't blogged lately mostly because I haven't been reading. I'm an inveterate bibliophile, so I am quite sure that I will be back to blogging before too long.


What have I been doing with my time? One thing I've been doing is physical exercise. My interest in physical exercise started with my doctors' concerns about my cardiovascular health. My own displeasure with my obesity also motivated me to get my body moving. I went from getting zero exercise to working out for about twenty minutes a few times a week. Lately I exercise every day for an hour or two, mostly two.


The greater part of my exercise consists of running or running in place. I can run five kilometers in about sixteen minutes, which is not too slow. Saturday I will be participating in a 5k run for a local charity. I expect that younger, fitter, more athletic runners will pass me by, but I intend to compete to the best of my abilities and then some.


I'd like to be able to philosophize about what I'm doing with my body. That isn't coming easily to me. Possibly endorphins are making me stupid–in which case what would be the wisest course of action? I listen to old disco songs and engage in simple movements over and over again. My mind floats, or raves in infant reveries. Should I let it run? For the moment I am letting it run, fully confident that my love of moderation will eventually win out and I'll be back to blogging on a regular basis.


Here's Anita Ward singing "Ring my Bell":


Labels: ,

posted by Fido the Yak at 2:16 PM.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice! you should consider buying the new Gnarls Barkley record then - The Odd Couple - it's very groovy:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yfe3EJ3Laho

March 28, 2008 11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ring my bell - one of my wife's favourite songs.
Can't wait for some phenom. pieces on the experience of being aware of the act sweating and cramps etc.

take care
P.

March 29, 2008 1:43 PM  
Blogger Fido the Yak said...

I regret to inform that I didn't run on Saturday because it was snowing. There's a 12k I might enter in May.

About cramps and muscle pains generally, it's interesting that I would tolerate such pains for the sake of a brief moment of enjoyment every day. (There is of course some enjoyment in losing weight, but I am pushing myself harder than I'd need to if I were merely trying to lose weight.) It's kind of like smoking. I was putting up with all kinds of unpleasantness just for the sake of a few seconds of bliss. I reckon a phenomenology of working any kind of muscles would have to address not only pain but imagination, fantasy and reverie.

One thing I like about "Ring my Bell" is the space between the low and high ends, and also the spaces in the parts themselves (two sides of the same coin in a sense).

April 01, 2008 10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Fido the Yak front page