Saturday, October 13, 2007

Indefinite Regress

Deleuze says that all paradoxes are derived from the paradox of indefinite regress (The Logic of Sense, p. 36). I'm not conversant enough in paradoxes to test that claim. It says a lot though about Deleuze's thinking. His love of this paradox is key to understanding what he means by "series." He says the series is both a synthesis of the homogenous and a synthesis of the heterogenous. "Every unique series, whose homogenous terms are distinguished only according to type or degree, necessarily subsumes under it two heterogenous series, each one of which is constituted by terms of the same type or degree, although these terms differ in nature from those of the other series" (pp. 36-37).


I'm not a fan of Eleatic riddles because I don't believe that mathematics is the proper measure of experience. (I won't say here that premises are absurd or conclusions improperly drawn, but merely that if one is interested in experience such riddles miss the boat.) Many scholars, however, believe that Deleuze's philosophy is a philosophy of experience nonpareil, and I have to admit that he has many interesting things to say about experience. I think that's a paradox, but like I said, I'm not very conversant in paradoxes.

Labels: ,

posted by Fido the Yak at 8:55 AM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Fido the Yak front page