Monday, January 16, 2006

The Fierce Urgency of Now

Today I've been reading and listening to the speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr. I Have a Dream remains the greatest in my mind. (If audio links don't work because the servers are crashed or slow, you should be able to listen here.)


It's tempting to think that because racism in America appears to be less vicious and less pervasive than it once was, or because the civil rights movement has achieved certain landmarks, the struggle for justice is complete. It is not. At this very moment, we are urgently called upon to not regard people as mere things, to act as if our lives, and life itself, had meaning. This is what I hear Dr. King saying to me today.

posted by Fido the Yak at 11:31 AM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Fido the Yak front page